Tuesday, July 22, 2008

理发

Yalies may recognize the title of this post from the sign that always stands outside Gourmet Heaven, announcing that haircuts can be had on the second floor. I went and got my hair cut across the street from my dorm today. I cut it short enough that it doesn't curl; I've gotten sick of Chinese people rubbing it, and when a cabbie asked me what sort of product I used to curl it, it was really the last straw.

Now all this wouldn't be grounds for a blog post, except that a professor from the university showed up and took pictures of me before and after the haircut. Apparently a forthcoming Chinese textbook includes a dialogue at a barbershop, and for a textbook designed for foreigners, it seems that only pictures of laowai would do. So in the future, students learning Chinese may get to see my lovely head of halfway-cut hair on the pages of their textbooks.

No comments: